My Slice of Life #2 - A Morning During a Winter Storm

 Monday, February 15, 2021 - 8:15 am

Waking up in my double insulated bed, and soft sherpa blanket due to freezing temps outside, I immediately got up to look outside my window excited to see "snow". I knew I had the whole day to be productive and get some school work done. 

IF ONLY I KNEW....

Should I go out and play in it or  just take pictures from my window? After about 3 minutes of debating I made my choice. I'll just take pictures on my phone. 

Grabbing my phone from under my pillow. I go, open my blinds, and take my pictures. While taking pictures I look down my street to see if any of my neighbors are out enjoying the snow, but they weren't (it might've been too early,  for them).

Spending the next 10 minutes (yes 10 minutes) looking at friends' social media, seeing how much fun they're having in the snow, thinking 'It's way to cold to go out there even for some pictures." Getting bored , I start to wonder if my mom is up, like any other morning. 

Walking into the next room, I tripped on the leg my life-size giraffe, that sits at my door, and then see my mom huddled up in the chair.

"Morning mom!"

"Morning." I heard from beneath blankets.

Did we lose power?

Yea about 1-2 am this morning. hearing the frustration in her voice.

(This is it. This is why I was so cold, it started to make sense now. No power, no heat. 🤦‍♀️)

Ohh ok, so this must be our blackout period?

Mhmm, 'cus it sure ain't rolling, like they said it would.

Disappointed, I can't watch tv, use my phone or laptop, or go anywhere for that matter, I crawl back into bed. 

After laying in bed for 5 minutes, twiddling my thumbs, and looking up at the ceiling, I figure this would be a great time to read one of my books for class. I tiptoe back into where my mother was trying to go back to sleep. Being quiet as possible, went left the minute I reached into my bag, which made that crunching sound as I grabbed my book. Feeling like I managed to be quick and quiet enough, I prepare to make my escape. As I turned around I see my mother looking at me as if she was saying 'Really?' I grabbed my book and dashed back into my room, snuggled up in my bed and started reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Childhood Book Memories

The Rooster Prince of Breslov by Ann Redisch Stampler

The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul Galdone