Reading As Thinking

    When I read I see things interestingly, and in perspective. I see them as I read in my head, creating the images based on what I read. Sometimes the words will pop off the page, creating a 3D effect as I'm reading. For the most part, when I read it's relatively easy to create a movie in my own head. Most of the books I choose are things that I know will excite me, and make me question the author's purpose for writing the book, which allows me to have more fun with it. When I'm reading I hear myself as a narrator. I insert my own thoughts like I'm talking while a movie is playing or saying how something made me felt in that moment, it's almost as if it's an autobiography.

    As I read, I imagine the characters based on who I know, or who I would Like to see in it if it were a movie. There's one celebrity actress, Elaine Hendrix, who I always see as the bad guy in any movie, because that's how I've known her, so if there's a book with an evil woman, she's most likely the one I think of straight away. When stories relate to me personally, I put myself and those who were involved in those moments that caused me to feel a certain way or were heavily involved in that period of my life. When I'm reading and I have difficulty or trouble understanding what I just read, I usually reread or take a minute away from the book, then come back to what I what was reading, and this usually helps me refocus and I'm able to get back to reading.

   How I feel when I read ultimately depends on the book. Some books allow me to experience emotion, while others educate me in a way that is unlike our typical textbook which presents it in a way that is exciting and entertaining. There are times when I'm reading and other texts come to mind, usually when I read criminal/lawyer books, I think of things I've read throughout school or from John Grisham. Many books evoke something in me, and it's sends a connection through my brain and triggers a memory, especially if it's based on an experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Childhood Book Memories

The Rooster Prince of Breslov by Ann Redisch Stampler

The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul Galdone